The NROTC Preparatory Program (NPP) Scholarship is designed to give highly motivated and exceptional NJROTC cadets an opportunity to gain college experience and strengthen fundamental areas of study. Students selected for the NPP Scholarship will receive one year’s tuition paid from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. If the student performs well during this year, they will automatically be granted the 4-Year NROTC Scholarship by the U.S. Navy. Selected students will be required to attend New Student Indoctrination (NSI) prior to starting the preparatory year at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). Please see the link to the left for more information on NSI. The NPP scholarship is only offered to prospective Navy Option MIDN.
The following forms must be completed by December 15, 2019** to be considered for the NPP Scholarship. All applications will be reviewed for eligibility by the Professor of Naval Science, and eligible applications will be forwarded to the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) for final selection. Instructions for filling out the forms can be found on page one of the NROTC Preparatory Program Scholarship Application.
- 2020 NPP Application Information Sheet
- NPP Checklist and Application
- Report of Medical History
- Drug Statement
- SNSI Recommendation
- Applicant Fitness Assessment (AFA) Instruction
- NROTC AFA Score Sheet
All applicants must apply to UMBC for admission prior to applying for the NPP Program. Information on applying to UMBC can be found at: https://undergraduate.umbc.edu/apply/index.php.
Please submit all completed forms by December 15, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call UMBC NROTC at (410) 455-1514.
**If you would like to apply, but will not be able to submit all required documents by December 15, 2019, please email email@example.com to request an application extension and provide anticipated completion date.
To be eligible for the NROTC Preparatory Program (NPP) Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be a United States citizen or national;
- Have no moral obligations or personal convictions that will prevent bearing of arms and supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic or to taking an oath to perform such acts;
- Be at least 17 years of age on or before 1 September of the year of enrollment and less than 27 years of age on 31 December of the year an applicant expects to graduate, complete all NROTC training requirements, and be commissioned. Those with prior or current active duty in the Armed Forces may be granted age waivers equal to the number of months served. Those granted the maximum age waiver must not have reached their 30th birthday by 31 December of year graduation and commissioning are anticipated;
- Meet physical requirements;
- Have the intention of commissioning as an Officer in the US Navy (Marine Option MIDN are not eligible for this scholarship);
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent certificate;
- Be accepted for admission as a full-time student at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
- Once the preparatory year is complete, the student will automatically pick up a 4 Year NROTC Scholarship if the following conditions are met:
- Obtain medical clearance
- Pass the Navy’s Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA)
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Agree to the terms of the scholarship contract
- Receive the Professor of Naval Science’s recommendations
- Receive the University of Maryland, Baltimore County’s (UMBC) endorsement.